Tuesday, September 02, 2008

The Worst Labor Day Ever

Reality hit home today as I blearily motored up the 5 and 57 freeways at 2 in the morning, hoping to reach my unit with enough time to properly prepare my car for a year of storage in a dusty Upland government parking lot. Let me back up a little...

Our 11-day "Pre-Mobilization" phase is over, so today our unit loaded up on a chartered flight for Ft. Dix, New Jersey, where we will continue the "Mobilization" process that will culminate in our voyage to Iraq.



The Commander was merciful and gave everyone Sunday off. I had one of the best days ever, driving back to Carlsbad to spend the day with Joan and Madeline: breakfast out, park, pool, pizza, we had a ball.

Then at 1:45am Labor Day morning I had to drive back to Upland to catch the 4am bus for Ontario Airport. It was a tearful farewell, with many soldiers' family members in attendance. (I let Joan and Madeline sleep in).



My Ford Exploder rests on jack stands with a car cover tied over it (plus fuel stabilizer in the tank and a whole bottle of Armour-All squizzled liberally over the trim & tires (plus the battery disconnected)).

See you in a year, Ford Exploder!

No comments: